Preserving Farmland and Open Space:
- Maintains the community's quality of life by preserving the community identity and beauty of the countryside.
- Preserves wildlife habitat and wildlife corridors, improves air and water quality, and scenic views.
- For conservation easements, the land remains in private ownership and on the tax rolls.
- Farmland preservation preserves productive land available for agricultural and helps to maintain the local agriculture economy and family farms.
- Preserving farmland may encourage emphasis on production of food for local markets.
- Open space properties may provide recreational opportunities such as, fishing, hiking, birdwatching, nature study, and water access.